Swackett Weather Fun Fact: The first blizzard to be declared a Federal Emergency was in 1977, affecting upstate New York and Southern Ohio with 12 inches of snow over 5 days, but the winds were deadly.
Swackett Fun Fact: The sun composes nearly all the mass in the solar system, 99.8 percent while the other 0.2 percent is made up of comets, asteroids, moons, debris and planets.
Swackett Weather Fun Fact: The worlds tallest snowman made measured a massive 113 feet (34.63 meters) and was made by the people of Bethel, Maine.
Swackett Weather Fun Fact: Moonquakes (“earthquakes” on the moon) are related to the tidal stresses associated with the varying distance between the Earth and Moon that occur at great depths, about halfway between the surface and the center of the moon.
Swackett Weather Fun Fact: Mudslides can exceed the speed of 10 miles per hour.
Swackett Weather Fun Fact: A mere 2 feet of flood water can float a large vehicle or even a bus.
Swackett Weather Fun Fact: When scientist drilled through the ice of Antarctica’s Lake Vanda, they discovered that the water at the bottom of the lake was an amazingly warm 77 degrees Fahrenheit.
Swackett Weather Fun Fact: Birds grow dense plumage, feathery legs and feathered nostrils to sustain their body heat and water, while mammals grow a thicker fur coat to keep them bundled during the winter.
Swackett Weather Fun Fact: Avalanches can reach speeds of 250 miles per hour
Swackett Weather Fun Fact: The first use of the term “heatwave” for a period of hot weather was in New York in 1892. — Could use a heatwave here at Swackett Headquarters!